Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Bit of Background About Me

I've been playing BattleTech since middle school, about the time the Clan Invasion arc started (must've been about 1995 or thereabouts.) I'm a student of naval history, and so I got wrapped up pretty tightly in the first version of BattleSpace, was disillusioned with AeroTech 2, and came back with Strategic Operations. I'm a big fan of the plot and the universe, but for some reason the novels have never really gripped me. I've probably spent nearly as many hours tracing through the sourcebooks for plot clues as I have actually playing.

I've run four games of MechWarrior 3rd Edition. The first two had (roughly) the same party. The first set in 3063 and was something of a planet-hopping murder mystery game with exceptionally little combat, except for a few sessions. The second took place in 3064 on a tiny low-population world on the edge of the Lyran Periphery, and had the genecaste in it. I have since repented.

The third game took place in December of 3067 over Tharkad. The party ended the campaign stranded under the Word of Blake blockade planet-side, although they did deal the Wobbies a few black eyes while they were there. The fourth and final game was set during the height of the Star League, as a massive epic-scale game with each character either the captain or the CAG of a WarShip (this was shortly after TRO3057R was released.) That game was interesting, and I'll likely refer to it in the future, but suffice it to say, each player's cheat-sheet was a 40-50 page bound booklet printed at Kinko's.

Professionally, I work in databases. I'm one of those guys who has a +8 or +9 in Computers/Databases, and I fly around the world configuring systems for major corporations. As with most people (I think) my job and my hobbies tend to merge. I use computers to keep track of my RPG information, a lot. Databases full of character information, programs to generate and cross-reference information to make sure I'm getting the details of the campaign right, that sort of thing. I may post some of the more portable work that I do here for people to access, but unfortunately, a great deal of it leverages programs and software I don't expect your average user to have available.

Finally, I am an exceptionally poor fiction author. I make no promises or warranties about the quality of the story lines I kick out, but after the pass through the player's filter, I hope that they are much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment