Monday, May 23, 2011

Building the Enemy

I have a few rules of thumb about constructing BattleTech engagements when I have PC's sitting in the cockpit. Generally, the enemy force is larger, but not equipped to deal with the particular unit combination the PC's have (for instance, if the party is all lightly armored, the opposing force won't have any pulse lasers or other hit-number-reducers, if party is all thick-armor 'Mechs, the enemy won't have any through-armor crits weapons, etc.) The result is usually a punch-up that make the battle feel like a real threat, but rarely takes such a statistical excursion as to place the PC's in real danger.

There are a few always-rules, as well. No long-range head cappers, like the Gauss Rifle or the Clan ER PPC. AC-20's I feel like they can dance around, and headshots and even cockpit shots are going to happen, but at least the players can mitigate those with tactics. I roll on the table, so I can't take the gloves off or handwave an obvious cockpit critical, so I try to avoid those as much as possible.

In the beginning of this campaign, the enemy is very easy to place: the 9th WoB Militia, and probably elements of the 10th. The Blake Documents gives very convenient Random Unit Assignment tables for both groups, and with some idea of what restrictions I need to place and the Master Unit Lister - Battle Values to plug any gaps in the formation, I have great confidence I can build the primary antagonists for Sessions 3 and 4, and put up a good fight for the PC's without worrying too much about killing a PC outright.

The latter part is trickier: the primary villain when you're resistance on Terra is TerraSec, about whom very little is written in canon. They field BattleMechs, but they are primarily a law-enforcement agency, and do not have a convenient affiliation code that I can reference to find out what equipment they might be using, so mid-game vehicle encounters are going to require considerable research to set up. Giving TerraSec military-grade hardware seems overkill, even in the post-Case White world, but there exists precious little law-enforcement canon material in the Technical Readouts. This may require some unit construction on my part, but at least I have a few weeks to deal with the question.

2 comments:

  1. What use are you planning to make of the Tactical Addendum in A Time of War?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exact delineation between what gets handled in Total Warfare and what gets handled in A Time of War's Tactical Addendum is largely going to depend on what the unit composition is on the ground. I really prefer TW or vanilla ATOW, if only because executing a round of combat in A Time of War with the Tactical Addendum using more than one vehicle takes a prohibitively long time, even with players who are very comfortable and well-versed in the system. I expect to only be using the Tactical Addendum in circumstances where one character has brought a vehicle (or 'Mech) that they're using to support the party; otherwise they slow down the tactical pace of ATOW combat a bit more than I like at my table.

    That said, Bert is taking select SPA's, being a 41-year-old veteran of Tukayyid, but for reasons that will become obvious in a post next week, I expect to have combat broken into "Total Warfare" and "A Time of War" pretty cleanly.

    ReplyDelete