Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Clark's Logs, Sessions 19 & 20

VWS on a field of recently-mowed pasture at the Cameron Ranch. Galloping across the screen is FIONA, a spirited Appaloosa filly with a flowing mane. CLARK sits confidently in the saddle, and a cut-in to MS shows him leaning forward with the reins held firmly but loosely.

CLARK
Attagirl, Fiona, don’t let up!

FIONA continues to gallop on for another length of the pasture before CLARK slows her to a trot. He pats the side of her neck gently and nods in approval.

CLARK
You’re a mighty fine horse, FIONA. I’ll be doubly glad to
have you once old Rocky’s turned it in. He’s not near as young
as he used to be.

CLARK runs a hand through his hair, just starting to show real graying at the temple. He grimaces in thought.

CLARK
Neither am I, I guess. But it’s been a rough few years. More than
a few! They’ve been here, what, seven years now? That’s a
decent chunk of my life I’ve given to the Resistance. Oh, right.
I should probably get this all out of the way now, girl, so you’re
not too surprised if the Word of Blake comes kicking down the
barn door before too long.

CLARK barks a short, humorless laugh. FIONA tosses her head nervously and whickers.

CLARK
It probably won’t come to that. Probably. But it’s true! Your new
owner is a bona fide terrorist. I’ve been fighting the Word of
Blake ever since ComStar failed to kick them off my planet.

FIONA
Neigh!

CLARK
Hard to believe, I know. A mild-mannered guy like me? I’m not
even military or special ops. Neither is my friend Simon. You
remember Simon - he helped me load you up and drive you
here from the farm you used to live on. He’s a good guy,
but I’m worried about him. This fight has taken a toll on him.
More than anyone else, I think. Except Shin, but he’s gone.

CLARK looks back toward the house, lost in thought and clearly not happy.

CLARK
We can’t keep this up much longer. There’s a new guy, Alan,
who helped us destroy a Wyrm and capture some critical
intelligence. He’s a Lyran, which is a little dodgy, but I like
him. I’m glad to have him, but...we haven’t seen Cho in months.
Years, actually - we just haven’t HEARD from him in months.
What if he got eaten by a bear or something? Yeah, right.

CLARK shakes his head and slows FIONA to a walk. The horse tries to stop and begin eating grass, but CLARK clicks his teeth and gives a firm tug of the reins, steering her back towards the barn.

CLARK
I pity the bear who gets on the wrong side of David Cho. Of
course, ever since that last mission, Alexander’s been getting weird,
too. It was all so easy - the Missouri cell helped us bypass the security
on the data repository, and there was only one guard to take out before
we were free to start pillaging files. We even managed to NOT kill him!
Guess there are some benefits to not having Shin or Cho along...

FIONA
Snort!

CLARK
You’re right, girl. Best not to speak ill of the dead, or possibly-
dead. We got the info that ComStar needs to root out the double
agents in their coalition before the fleets come to retake Terra.
All that’s left to do is disable a planetary defense cannon, and then
wait for the cavalry to ride in and save our asses.

CLARK glances down and shakes his head, wry amusement written across his lined face.


CLARK
I thought I would be the cavalry, when I joined the Resistance.
Bravely coming in to save my planet where ComStar had failed.
Now I see that this thing’s way bigger than our little cell, or all
the little cells, can handle. I just have to pray that the info we
got them will be enough for them to make it through.

FIONA draws up close to the barn, and CLARK stops her and dismounts neatly, though with a small grunt as his feet hit the ground. He draws an apple out of his pocket and lets the horse eat it from his hand while he sighs.

CLARK
I’m getting too damn old for this. We’ve done the impossible
before. But with Cho missing, and Alan not being half the
fighter Shin was - even if he is twice the human being - I’m
worried. We’ve come so far. We can’t fail here. We need to
do this, and I need to survive. What’s more, I need to make
sure Simon gets out. I still feel like I’ve dragged him into this,
and now his life’s a mess. I need to look after him until he
can really get back on his feet.

CLARK lets FIONA wander over to the trough after she finishes the apple, while he sticks his hands in his pockets and stares at the horizon.

CLARK
And here’s me, pushing forty and still single. I haven’t had time
to worry about it ‘till now, but...it’s gonna be a lonely retirement,
whether the Word or ComStar are calling the shots. The only lovely
ladies I’ve had time for live in the barn or the chicken coop. Not
that I regret it, but...okay, I regret it. A bit. Hopefully it’s not too
late for me. I haven’t come this far to die alone. Right?

CLARK looks to FIONA, who ignores him in favor of drinking from the horse trough. CLARK snorts and shakes his head as he strolls back towards the house.

CLARK
Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment