Friday, March 16, 2012

Building Minis

I finally got together all the materials I need to construct the minis for Session 21; it looks like I won't have to buy anything new besides the models themselves, which is good for my budget.

One of the helpful things in Total Warfare I haven't had good use of is the miniature painting section on page 288 of Total Warfare.  The last time I painted a lot of minis was for a Mechwarrior 3rd Edition game I ran in 2006, but all of those were spacecraft miniatures (fighters, DropShips, and WarShips.)  I'm not sure I've ever painted more than 1 or 2 'Mechs, so this should be a novel experience for me.

One thing I perpetually forget to do when painting is to properly wash the minis before construction. I'm learned the hardware that it is an important step; sometimes you can get along just fine without it, but sometimes the glue and paint just won't bind properly unless the mini is washed.  I'm told this has something to do with residues left over from the casting process.  So it goes.

Another challenge on this run out is that some of these minis are infantry, which now that I have them in-hand, are even tinier than I was expecting.  I have no idea how I'm going to do them any form of justice with a paintbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment