Friday, April 6, 2012

After Action Reports Participation

One thing that I tried in this campaign I had never done before was giving XP rewards for providing After-Action Reports the players submitted.  By far, Cameron was the player to take greatest advantage of this system.  He provided reports for 17 of the 20 sessions he attended.  With his permissions, I'll be running those over the next few weeks.  I also got a number of reports from Morgan, and a few from Bert and Henry.  As I collect more reports, I plan to assemble them all into a single document that will provide the character-eye view of the campaign as a whole.

I collated my notes player participation both in the campaign and in the After-Action Reports.  All told, players showed up when they were expected over 95% (98 of a possible 103 appearances) of the time.  Submitting After-Action Reports was much flakier; for the whole campaign, only 42% of all possible After-Action Reports were submitted (42 AAR's submitted out of 98 player appearances.)  Reports were also clustered much more towards the beginning of the campaign; after Session 10, really only Bert and Cameron continued submitting reports; that coincides about with the time that the majority of player's XP was coming from Downtime XP, and that rather greatly exceeded the 10XP I was giving out for AAR's.

That said, as a GM assembling material on this campaign, I am delighted to have the amount of information I have been given by my players in tracking what they experienced as it compares to my intentions and execution.  Even with low, but still respectable, participation, I'm able to paint an impressive picture of how the characters and party developed over the course of the game.




No comments:

Post a Comment