Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Running the Tactical Addendum

For Session 21, I used the Tactical Addendum to resolve the vehicular combat, which largely ended up being a holding action Alexander fought in his Warhammer against waves of vehicles.  There were two problems I had in resolving this combat, one of which radically increased the PC's effectiveness.

First, I allowed fire resolution to occur at the moment of firing, rather than simultaneously as per Tactical Action Resolution described on page 221 of A Time of War.   By doing this, I made it viable for Alexander to employ a "shoot-and-scoot" strategy when dealing with a number of opponents, which became particularly relevant when the Schrek PPC carriers reached the high ground.

The second issue I had was not using skills converted to Total Warfare for resolving Alexander's attack rolls.  At this point in the campaign, Alexander's Gunnery/Mech skill was +8, obscenely high by any stretch of the imagination, but because I was making him resolve his attacks as A Time of War skill checks (TN 8).  Theoretically, he should've been rolling Total Warfare targets as a 0/2 pilot, but when I checked the math, the actual natural rolls that result in a hit come out exactly the same.  I believe in the course of the entire engagement, Alexander fired approximately 35-40 shots and missed once, when attempting to hit an individual infantry man behind a tree at medium range.

I largely avoided 'Mech-on-Infantry engagements, with the exception of two three-man squads at the beginning of the fight, so I neatly sidestepped my concerns from earlier posts that infantry survivability might go way up using the Tactical Addendum.  I feel I may have done the readers of this blog a disservice in that regard, but I trust somebody else can run the experiments to determine if my hunches about infantry engagement are correct.



1 comment:

  1. One effect it definitely has had is to compel players to keep, or modify their mechs to obtain, machine guns and flamers in opposition to their previous attitudes regarding these weapons.

    ReplyDelete