Monday, April 23, 2012

Clark's Logs, Session 12

ECU of CLARK’s eyes, pupils dilated.  Heavy breathing can be heard as the camera zooms out on CLARK’s face, covered with sweat and specks of dried blood.  He sits with his back to a low stone wall, plumes of smoke rising up from behind it.  The sounds of shouting and gunfire can be heard, but their quality is muted and dreamlike, showing them to be in CLARK’s head.  As the view zooms out to a CU, CLARK is holding a hand clamped over his bleeding left arm.  The ComGuard are climbing over the wall to secure the convoy as CLARK casts a panicked look around the forest’s edge.  His eyes fall on a GARTER SNAKE curled up in a crevice at the base of the wall - the only animal not to have fled the recent battle.
CLARK
Well, hello there.

SNAKE

CLARK
You must still be cold from last night, huh?  I guess it’s
still early in the day.  I’ve never done so much so early.

SNAKE

CLARK
Well, don’t worry.  You’ll have time to warm up, yet.  We
won’t hurt you. Not like...what happened to those guys.

CLARK jerks his head back over his shoulder.  The SNAKE twitches a bit, but otherwise seems to only just be rising out of torpor.  CLARK shakes his head.

CLARK
That was insane.  Honest and truly.  Never been through
anything like that before.  I can’t believe I’m still alive.  I
thought running afoul of TerraSec was bad, but that giant gun...

CLARK shudders and clutches his injured arm more tightly.  His perforated left hand is elevated on a jutting stone.

CLARK
I hope I never have to do something like that again.  And yet, it
was kind of...exhilarating.  At first it was just loud and terrifying,
and then I got shot and it was loud and terrifying and painful, but
I could hear Alex yelling for me to get up and pull myself together.
I don’t know how I did it, but I did.  I got back up.  I shouldered
that giant damn machine.

The SNAKE catches a stray ray of sunlight and moves its head feebly, trying to soak up the warmth.  CLARK seems to take this as a sign of rapt interest.


CLARK
And, you know what?  We blew that armored vehicle to pieces.
Punched in its rear armor like a bullet collapses a lung.  And
damn if I didn’t feel a rush!  I whooped, I screamed, and in that
second, I understood how anybody could be a soldier.  There’s
something primal about combat.  But I guess I don’t have to tell
YOU that.

SNAKE

CLARK
Is it wrong, though?  I mean, of course killing people is wrong.
But the Word has done that, and much worse, and they’re not
going to stop until they’ve strangled the life out of my beloved
Terra and crushed the whole universe underfoot.  They’re
maniacs.  No doubt they say the same things about us.

CLARK shifts a bit and hisses a bit, breathing in sharply as he jostles his injured arm unintentionally.

CLARK
I can’t get philosophical now.  I can’t afford it.  People are
counting on me.  When I saw Alex go down, my training took
over.  It’s because of that he’s still alive.  Maybe I can still
save a few more lives today.  Alex doesn’t seem happy with
poor Simon for running off.  Can’t say I wasn’t tempted to
do the very same thing.  Shin got shot when he was taking that
truck, and our Resistance allies...it sounds like they really
took some casualties.  But with my arm like this, I don’t know
how much I can do.

SHIN MAGNUSSON, huge and hulking, returns from securing the cargo truck, and wordlessly hands CLARK a single singed piece of paper.  CLARK’s eyes dart over the page, his eyebrows raising.  OSS to the document, clearly showing the Word of Blake’s citation of CLARK’s post-doctoral dissertation.  A low growl escapes the veterinarian’s lips, and he stands up without flinching.

CLARK
They cited me here.  They took my research and used it to
create an incubator for the most deadly biological weapons
that Terra has ever seen.  I was doing that research to preserve
the Branth species, expand its opportunities for colonization
outside its native range on Lopez in case a catastrophe
destabilized its home ecosystem.  They took that and they
twisted it, and now, everyone who dies from one of these
infections is my responsibility.  They won’t get away
with it.

The SNAKE begins to move sluggishly, uncoiling itself and slithering slowly across the leaf litter in search of a better place to bask.  CLARK nods.

CLARK
Good.  You’re awake.  I’m awake, now, too.  It’s time
for me to make good.  Before, this was about right
and wrong.  Important, but abstract.  Now, it’s personal.
And I’ll be damned if the Word of Blake is going to use
MY research to take more innocent lives.  I’ll stop them, and
they’ll rue the name they ever heard the name Clark
Cameron.

CLARK looks around, hearing the moans of the wounded, and seeing his injured teammates scrambling.

CLARK
I’ve got a job to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment