Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Second Drill

On Sunday I ran the second landing simulation with the ComStar party. This time they were fighting a Level II of WoB Heavy 'Mechs. Again, they accomplished the mission, but this time they lost the all three vehicles, and Shin was killed in action, while the other two were captured. Morgan declared Shin's intention to commit suicide before he was captured, which might make the situation a bit awkward if the actual landing goes similarly. I'll need to find a way to convince the PC's that they can make good their escape even if their vehicles are lost.

I'm not overconcerning myself with the possibility, as that's more a "cross-that-bridge-when-we-come-to-it" kind of deal, but I am considering either downgrading the Level II to Medium 'Mechs or providing the party with an NPC 'Mech to aid them. I'm aiming for a very specific level of damage here, specifically the destruction of the hardware without killing off the MechWarriors themselves. Allowing one of the vehicles to escape is an acceptable outcome. Statistical analysis can only carry me so far here.

I've also learned that with Edge available to avoid the possibility of a headshot, I can allocate more heavy weapons to the OpForce. In particular, allowing the Heavy PPC opens up a lot of new 'Mechs to my options, although that weapon and ones like it can drop the Hawk Moth in a single round. I am re-evaluating my force construction using this most recent addition to doctrine. I look forward to building the actual force.

No comments:

Post a Comment