Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Things I Wish I Had In Front Of Me, Part 1

I'm starting to develop a list of things I want in front of me as I GM; places I keep referring back to in the books. I expect these desires to evolve over the course of the campaign, so I'm going to keep a list of them, and there will likely be subsequent entries over the lifetime of this game. For now, I'll start with the ones I've experienced so far.

First and foremost, the Master Skills List on page 142. Last session, I just left a copy of A Time of War open on the table in front of me turned to that page. The thing I keep needing to check is target numbers (TNs); my players are still used to telling me what they rolled, and the result after adding their bonus, but they're slow to remember that the TN is fixed in A Time of War. I am constantly having to look it up, at least until they all have upgraded record sheets with the TNs listed on them.

Second, the Basic Action Check Table on page 40, although with the aforementioned Master Skills List table above, I really only need this is remember 12 and 18, the single-and-double attribute check numbers, which I'm sure I'll remember someday. They just come up so infrequently now.

The last thing that I want doesn't exist as far as I can tell -- the damage cheatsheet. The damage rules are quite poorly laid out for quick reference in A Time of War, and a simple, intuitive chart of what gets applied and how and which modifiers are applied for which types of wounds would be amazing. On its face damage is easy -- roll the hit location, apply the modifier, subtract that number from Standard Damage. Problems inevitable result, though, from tracking what affects are on a character with, say, a 4-point head wound (page 182, if you were wondering.)

This is all before we've gotten to proper individual-level combat. As I said, I expect this is to evolve over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment