Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mapping Montana

When it finally came time to whipping up the site of the investigation for this week's session, I aware there were a large number of tactical questions that needed to be considered when laying out this map to ensure that the encounter the party has here is fun and interesting. Being aware of those factors, I didn't stop to consider them because I was on a time budget. So I gave the party an easily defensible position and the NPC's rough terrain. I'm OK with our first PC combat being weighted toward the good guys.

30-40 minutes of futzing in Campaign Cartographer (I was quite out of practice) produced this:


I am less happy with this map than I have been with some of my previous work, but I liked how the grid is clearly visible where the NPC's will be standing, and fades to barely-visible where the investigation and roleplaying parts of the mission will happen. It is a subtle effect I wasn't trying for but rather developed as I built the map.

Also, there is no label on this map, because the location is an anonymous piece of badlands. Brilliant artist statement, or laziness on the part of the artist? You decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment