Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Effect of Grinding on a Tabletop

As I'm sure a lot of you have experienced, MMOs are quite popular with tabletop gamers, and I m wondering how that effects how my players view the tabletop experience.  The playtime investment for an MMO is typically much larger than for a tabletop -- often by an order of magnitude.  The signal-to-noise ratio is generally much higher for the tabletop; more plot is delivered per hour, on average.  I'm forced to wonder, though, has the MMO standard now made tabletops feel rushed?

I really don't have sessions in which the plot isn't advanced in one way or another.  There aren't a whole lot of day-in-the-life sidequests, or chances to build out the world, which seems to impress players, especially ones not already familiar with the BattleTech Universe to feel the world is somehow thinner and shallower than is the case.  I can't help but feel that it is at least partly my doing as a GM that lends this issue to them, but none the less, I wonder how much of it is the expectation that character development and skill rewards only come after scores of hours of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment