Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Things I Wish I Had In Front Of Me, Part 2

When running combat, I found myself flipping through A Time of War more than I would've liked. Here's where I was going.

First stop, page 178, the Basic Combat Modifiers table. It is huge, and poorly organized. This table should likely be broken into two tables, one for Melee, one for Ranged damage. This one is going on my GM Screen.

Second stop, page 190, the Hit Locations Table,which I only realized after the session had the rather important Attack Direction modifier. Directly across from this table, on 191, is also the Location Effects Table, and the Specific Wound Effects Table, both very important.

In addition, I found my ranged combat aids helped greatly, but I need to make a one-page summary of the melee rules, particularly grappling. My players seem to think that the best thing for an unarmed character to do is to grapple with an armed opponent to try to get them out of the fight for a few turns until the armed PC's can deal with him or her.

Finally, a few one-line summaries of easily forgotten details about how injury and fatigue modifiers are calculated (we were doing injury wrong for half the session) would prevent a lot of page-flipping in heat of combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment