Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Building a Final Engagement

Given the time I have before Session 20, I'm taking some time to think about Session 21 as well, since it is looking like I'll need some serious lead time to get it ready.  I know the broad strokes and the set pieces I want: a climatic final operation around a major North American Word of Blake facility during the coalition landings, probably either Devil's Tower or Hilton Head.  Doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations, it isn't practical to model either location with the miniature rules in their entirety (Hilton Head Island is over 27 meters across in BattleTech Scale, and Devil's Tower itself would rise 1.6 meters over the battlefield.)  Thus, I need to determine a specific objective for the party to attack or hold, and a scenario around that.

That means coming up with a reasonable engagement for the ComStar Party (almost certainly involving the reappearance of Precentor Lecna), likely a holding action as the civilians accomplish the mission objective.  That brings me to the point of considering how a lowest-bidder-built Warhammer and an all-but-cripple Firestarter (possibly with gunship support) can be matched to a reasonably challenging Word of Blake opposing force.  I'm not sure I can build a Level II that won't crush the party, so I may have to embrace the scale of A Time of War and have them fighting infantry and small vehicles by the wave.  Weaving in a BattleMech commander will likely be a challenge, but I think if I can in the turmoil the landings will cause.

Nonetheless, this means I need to start determining what infantry, battle armor, vehicle, and boss BattleMechs I'll need for the final engagement.  More on that soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment