Monday, July 4, 2011

Battletech on a Kindle

I'm writing this from my vacation on Cape Cod, because my parents were kind enough to give me a new Amazon Kindle for my birthday. This was one of the perfect examples of something I would never buy for myself, but I have really rather wanted. One reason I wanted one was for BattleTech purposes. So within a few hours I had uploaded a copy of A Time of War to my Kindle to see how it looked.

The good news is that the Kindle handles the upload just fine, and actually dithers the rather complicated art and formatting of the rulebook quite well. Unfortunately, that's about where the good news ends. Without zoom, the text is barely readable if you hold the Kindle inches from your nose, and each page takes a few seconds to load, with page skip functionality only rudimentary. Sadly, I don't think I can recommend this clever idea for GM's, even for just for keeping tables handy -- its less "at-a-glance" and more "at-a-squint." Nevertheless, toys are toys, and I'm sure I'll find a way to integrate the Kindle into my GMing arsenal at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment