Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Creating Clark's Ranch

I pulled out an old copy of Campaign Cartographer 3 to help me lay out Clark's Ranch. The first thing I wanted to figure out was the size of Clark's Ranch. By Cameron's descriptions, Clark's ranch is fairly small -- only a few large animals. I'm estimating his ranch at 20 acres. A few quick calculations assuming a hex is approximately a 15-meter circle gives me 114 hexes of land in the Total Warfare scale.

The tool lets me throw down a hex grid pretty easily. First, to establish a reference point, I put down the road that connects the lot with the rest of the world. Then, the fence we already know is there that the cows and horses graze in. The tree line to the southeast was established last session -- that should be added. I previously established the house was about 100 meters from the treeline, so that's about 3-4 hexes away. The barn should be out by the grazing area.

Unfortunately, the Campaign Cartographer has a very limited base graphics set, so finding a icon for the house was a bit of trick, and the barn is harder. I may need to go Google image searching for better images, but for now I can find one thing or another. For now, a European-style monastery is the best stand-in I can find. Place that, throw down a few paths, a driveway, a hither-to-unreferenced brook, and I have a draft map of the world. I add a few labels, export to PNG, and send it to Cameron for approval. The result is:
I'm fairly happy with it. We'll see if he is. Overall, I had a pretty good experience with this tool, and I am now wondering if I should watch some of the YouTube videos the company puts out to help me use it more effectively. I certainly paid enough to get it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment