Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Combat Focus

Writing focus sessions in a technique I've found that helps keep my players engaged and give me a more direct narrative vehicle to tell a story.  By giving the player an opportunity to play their character exactly as they want to, I greatly increase engagement and enjoyment in the session.  Session 9 was just such a session for Clark.  I'm looking at increasing focus on some of the ComStar party, as they have been a bit neglected by the plot as of late.

One of my big problems is with David Cho.  His character was built as a special forces operative.  He's exceedingly good at hand-to-hand combat.  The problem is he is really designed for independent operations; trying to cater to him either involves separating him from the rest of the party, or placing several characters in mortal danger they are ill-equipped to handle.  So now I'm looking at ways to spotlight this character, without running the risk of a party wipe.

I'm hoping I can run parallel adventures during Session 10, so that the party is split, but both sides are working to accomplish their goals in different places.  The trick, I feel, is going to be not spending too much time on one side at the expense of the other group.  I feel like there is plenty of opportunity for part of the party to be with the main tour group while a subset sneaks around collecting information that the Word might not want them to have.  I have to crystallize this vision soon.  Session 10 is scheduled for Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment