Thursday, October 20, 2011

Offline Interactions

One thing that I've been trying to do for Session 10 that I haven't accomplished so far on previous sessions is to get the party to pre-plan a bit over email before the session starts.  Unfortunately, thus far no leader has managed to emerge in the group to lead the conversation, and I feel like I'm steering them, consciously or otherwise, if I try to lead the discussion.  So this week I'm trying again to  prod them into action.

I am admittedly much better at GMing in person than over an electronic connection, especially one with latency as high as email, so I'm straining to entice my players (all extremely busy people) to take time out of their days to think and talk about the game.  I'm a bit cautious about taking game talk out of the allocated time slot, but we burn a great deal of time with everybody looking at each other during the "planning" phase of each session.  I hope take advantage of incidental downtime to slowly get the conversation going, but historically this has been a bad plan.  I'm trying to consider what benefits I can off them above and beyond simply having more playtime every session that might encourage them to preload some of their planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment