Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pestilence

Given all this work on germ warfare, I thought it was high time I read the new Disease rules in A Time of War. The rules are on page 245, and are not long by any stretch of the imagination. They are, however, laced with warnings about the use of the rules, and that most players will not take kindly to being killed by a random germ in a game about giant fighting robots.

Page 247 has a few random tables for symptoms, frequency, and level of effect.  The highest level effects will easily kill a person with average attributes, making it very dangerous to actually use the random disease rules.  The rules also have no sense of transmission or vector; you might just kind of get a disease fiated upon you by the GM.

As such, the rules listed in the book are useful guidelines as to how to mechanically represent germs and germ warfare in the BattleTech universe, but I think a more complete set of rules is needed to make that part of the game interesting.  A Medical Research subarc might be fun for Clark, but I'd have to think that through very closely.

2 comments:

  1. Have you had a chance to look at the WMD rules in Reunification War? They maybe closer to what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I knew I had seen those rules somewhere, but I had presumed they were in one of the Jihad books. I completely forgot about Reunification.

    ReplyDelete