Monday, October 10, 2011

Thinking Ahead

I'm comfortable with the amount of prep work I've done for Session 9 now, so now I'm thinking ahead to Session 10 -- the Wyrm infiltration.  The party is looking at infiltrating an inspection tour of a partially-completed Wyrm SDS ship.  I'm not sure exactly how they're going to try to get aboard -- impersonate a TerraSec officer, try to get in as press members, or disguise themselves as workcrew.  No matter how they get aboard, I need to communicate a number of items to them.

First, they don't know what the purpose of this ship is (except Morgan, who out-of-character knows exactly what the Wyrm is.)  For this session, I need to show them what the vessel's purpose is.  That's the first item I need to make sure shows up aboard.

Second, they don't know why TerraSec is trying to obtain a ship like this, and when they find out the purpose of the vessel, it will likely become even more confusing.  This is not a question I want to answer, but one I want to lampshade -- make it clear that even in-universe, this makes little sense.

Third, I want to be sure that the party interprets this as an extremely difficult target to destroy, even by sabotage.  The ship's damage control and redundancy systems would make it outstandingly difficult to disable from any one point on-board.  Although they may have immediate thoughts of attempting to destroy the ship, they can't immediately act on them.

Finally, I want to give them some idea of when the ship will be completed.  They'll likely need to wait until it is no longer in a construction yard to realistically damage it, so they'll want to know when it begins trials so that they might take action then.

That's the outline for Session 10.  This week will be filling in some of those details.

No comments:

Post a Comment