Friday, September 23, 2011

Short Session

A new complication has arisen; a family gathering got rescheduled meaning I need to truncate my session on Sunday to only two hours.  I can think of two options for how to reduce this session; break it into a smaller piece, or find good cliffhanger.  So how can I cut this down?

Basically, the session has two major pieces; the time approaching the Word of Blake cordon, and the time infiltrating it, either by entering the quarantine zone or by investigating clues outside.  It makes sense to me that the session should have an introduction, a first non-combat encounter with the Word, then a more relaxed exploration segment, then end on the edge of an obvious combat.  This actually structures Sunday's session a bit more for me; I have three distinct scenes, one of which might have two forms (inside and outside the quarantine zone.)  Now I just need to create a few NPC's to populate the world I created and I'm all set.

First, I need a guard to give them the cover story -- that a Terran Resistance group set of a large explosive in the village, and that the Word has the place locked down while they search for evidence.   Then, I need the hint that something is wrong -- the trailers full of microbiologists and the presence of the Word's NBC group.  Finally, I need something to push them into investigating further -- the remains of a Branth that was clearly shot being transported in a biomedical containment unit.

These three clues to should encourage them to believe that not all is as it seems, and push them to investigate.  A few more in-game documents, a map to the Bioweapons facility, and some suggestion of what time they might be able to enter it.  Finally, as they get the last clue, a Word of Blake guard finds them, and we end session on that note.

No comments:

Post a Comment