Thursday, December 22, 2011

Big-Ticket Gifts

We're starting to get into the part of the campaign where the ComStar characters start getting their nifty toys back.  I've already allocated  a mission for Alex's mech-retrieval, so I need to decide if Session 14 is Shin's Battle Armor, or David's chopper.  Given the nature of the mission, I'm decidedly inclined to go with the former.

I feel like it is not terribly unreasonable for a spare battle armor suit to be laying around a Word secret laboratory.  The real trick is I finally have to face the reality of what putting Shin in Battle Armor will do to the campaign.  He will become the dominant military option available to the party for close-in combat.  There's not terribly wrong with that, but I do need to make sure sessions don't become me and Morgan running a game while everyone else watches.

The trick is, I think, that I want him to be in something mid-range; something that can handle the attention he'll draw to himself, but will deal with those threats accordingly.  To put it more clearly; I can handle Shin taking care of three-quarters of the enemies if he's also taking three-quarters of the fire.

Referring back to the charts I made about TNs against BAR, the inflection point for inbound damage is somewhere around BAR 3 or 4, which makes it a good place to put a party member's resistance.  That's high enough to deal with most of the stuff you'd expect to bounce off of battle armor, but low enough that a serious hit (such as a support weapon or a vehicle-scale gun) is still a problem.  A bit of this is also me factoring in Shin's absolutely hideous BOD score (currently 8), which makes me worry a bit less about him.

Tomorrow I'll go digging through the MUL to figure out what mid-to-late 3070's Word of Blake Battle Armor Shin is going to find hidden away in a closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment