Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What About Simon?

I'm still plotting out the research facility for Session 14.  Although it is Clark's capstone, I'm trying to wind in checks and excitement for everybody.  In this the problem character is Simon.

Simon is normally easy to give something to do, because he's the communications wizard.  He's always monitoring enemy communications or decrypting data channels or hacking into this, that, or the other thing.  The  problem with this session is that its pretty much a flat-out assault, and during our last combat-heavy encounter Simon's player (Anthony) extremely bored; I failed to engage him properly.  So for Session 14, I'm trying to think of how to get him engaged in a way that doesn't radically complicate the mission for the rest of the party.

I've gone over Simon's character sheet to see what things the character was built to do.  All told, five skills had over a hundred skill points coming out of character creation (Small Arms, Interest/Game Theory, Computers, Communications/Conventional, and Technician/Electronics) of which the last three had 170 vested points.  Since then, my XP log shows me that he has been dumping XP into Communications/Conventional, Career/Communications, and various attributes (primarily INT, WIL, and DEX.)

All this tells me he's doubling down on his Communications skills; so I want to give him another communications challenge of some kind.  Anthony also enjoys the out-of-game puzzles, such as the logic puzzle or cryptograms.  That makes me think some kind of interest puzzle, perhaps a door-opening problem, would keep him satisfied, especially if he could have various levels of success (such as bypassing combat encounters) based on his ability to solve the puzzle and a number of checks Simon would make.

The Interest/Game Theory makes me want to somehow wind a game theory puzzle into the story, but I'm unclear on what that would look like.  Perhaps some research into game theory will spawn a few ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment