Monday, December 19, 2011

Content In Utilities

One problem that I often struggle with when I'm writing utilities for BattleTech that I intend to release to the general public is the question of how much intelligence about the rules of the game I should build into it.  While I've been around the game industry long enough to have a pretty good sense of what will and will not get me sued, I nonetheless want to respect the wishes of developers, especially Catalyst, whether or not they have legal grounds for those wishes.

For instance, I have no problem creating a master list of Skills and Linked Attributes; that information is fairly easily available online.  I'm less inclined to input the whole set of Life Paths into a tool, even to create the much-needed A Time of War Character Creator.  I may need to post to the forums to determine what Catalyst is comfortable with accepting in terms of official content in user-created applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment