Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Vehicle Combat

The vehicle combat in Session 12 was rather less exciting than I was hoping it would be.  One response I got from the party was that for a large section of the event, the turret was firing at the resistance members, so their turns were just load and fire on alternate rounds.  The civilians were particularly susceptible to this, since their role was just to support the gunner of each rifle.  Once the turret turned on the party, the game became more exciting, but only in a very anxious way -- beyond taking cover, there was little the party could do to mitigate their risk in being shot.

The result was a battle that felt grindy for about an hour of gameplay.  With static vehicles, there was little or no maneuver.  There was no real chance for brilliance on the party's part, which I think left them disappointed.  It did allow Alex and Shin a chance to show off their impressive combat skills, which was good.  I think I need to re-examine vehicles before I use them again as a combat encounter in Ten Years on Terra; there is obvious potential here, but it is harder to harness than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment