Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Encounter Timing

Session 12's combat encounter I expected to run 90 minutes.  In the end, it came in a hair over two hours.  That worries me a bit in that it was a very simple encounter; there was almost no maneuver on the part of the party or the bad guys -- it was largely a "stand and shoot" engagement.  On the other hand, the combat went a dozen rounds -- meaning I can determine that on average a round of combat took ten minutes to compute.  In reality, it was considerably less than this, because we did have some interruptions that chewed up time, but I'd say an average turn did take at least 300 seconds to execute.  

I'm not drawing any conclusions from that particular datapoint, but the time it takes to run turns is something of great interest to me, and how it is affected by variables such as number and type of opposition and mobility on the terrain is also something you can expect future posts on.

No comments:

Post a Comment